Kuching (Sarawak), Thursday, 12 July 2018 – Despite the heavier than normal rains this season, the team at CMS has worked tirelessly to ensure that the Miri-Marudi road rehabilitation progress does not slip and remains ahead of schedule. With an average of over 370 mm of rain this quarter compared to an average of 270 mm last quarter, the challenge for the CMS team was monumental.
Rehabilitation of the 43.2km road connecting Miri to Marudi is progressing well ahead of its original 30-month schedule. By 25 June 2018, the road rehabilitation is already 61.60% complete. The project is scheduled for completion in Q2 2019.
Speaking about the update, Mr Goh Chii Bing, CMSB Group Chief Executive Officer – Operations, said, “I am extremely proud of the way the team intensified their efforts to beat conditions and stay ahead of schedule. This effort is even more impressive given that we had staff on leave for the holiday season and going back to their home constituencies to vote, yet we remained ahead of schedule. The other thing that has to be highlighted is also the team’s efforts to ensure that critical stretches of the road remained as smooth as possible for balik-kampung’ers during Gawai and Hari Raya. Without their round the clock efforts, there would have been a lot more unhappy travellers on the roads.”
The next phase will see the team moving the heavy machinery to the next area while also laying premix from KM16.550 to KM21.550. During this period, there may be some partial road closures from 9.00am to 5.00pm from the 4th of July to the 15th of July. However, CMS has planned to lay the premix one side of the road at a time thus alleviating congestion as much as possible.
Status updates for the project as at 25th June 2018:
- Scheduled Physical Progress of Road Rehabilitation: 60.47%
- Actual Physical Progress: 61.60%
- Ahead of Schedule by 1.13%
- Premix Surfacing Completed: 15.83km
- Completed Sub-Base (up to 1st layer): 43.08km
- Completed Road Base: 31.20km
- Reinforced Concrete Pipe Culverts: 19 completed out of 21
- Roadside Drains – Hilly area: 16.0km completed on both sides
- JKR and Land & Survey Department are assisting with outstanding land matters. However, CMS Roads have been given permission by the land owners to proceed with the works on the affected sections of the road and works are progressing.
CMS Roads’ next planned update on this project is scheduled for Q4 2018.