Artist Impression of the Bintulu Jepak Bridge

State Support to Usher In Construction of Sarawak Coastal Road with Bintulu – Jepak Bridge Crossing

Bintulu (Sarawak), Wednesday, 13 March 2019 – Known to the parties involved as ‘Package 5’, the scope of work includes the proposed construction and completion of the proposed Bintulu ‒ Jepak bridge crossing Kuala Kemena, which upon its completion will not only improve connectivity, but will be an addition to the stunning engineering marvels to grace the Sarawak skyline.

The statement, made today by CMSB, announces that PPES Works (Sarawak) Sdn Bhd (“PPES Works”) and China Communications Construction Company (M) Sdn Bhd (“CCCC”)  joint venture, PPES Works CCCC JV Sdn Bhd (“PPES Works CCCC JV”) has on 13 March 2019, received and accepted a Letter of Acceptance from the Sarawak State Government for Package 05: Proposed Construction And Completion Of The Proposed Bintulu – Jepak Bridge Crossing Kuala Kemena, Bintulu Division for a contract sum of RM 466,679,497.00.

PPES Works is a 51%-owned subsidiary company of CMSB with the remaining 49% equity interest held by Sarawak Economic Development Corporation.

Speaking about the joint venture, Mr Goh Chii Bing, CMSB Group Chief Executive Officer – Operations, said: “With the construction and opening of the iconic and hugely popular Darul Hana Bridge in Kuching, the CMSB Group of Companies has shown not only its engineering prowess but also placed itself at the heart of pioneering engineering achievements that are as aesthetically pleasing as they are functional.

“I’m sure that the partnership with China Communications Construction Company (M) Sdn Bhd, given its distinguished portfolio and past achievements, will be of great value to PPES Works as the two great companies unite to bring about a more connected and rapidly developing Sarawak.”

The agreement stipulates that the iconic bridge crossing Batang Kemena at Bintulu – Jepak be approximately 1,048 metres long with a four-lane double carriageway, with a cable-stayed bridge complete with a flyover over Jalan Tun Ahmad Zaidi, Jalan Tun Razak and the Jalan Abang Galau traffic junction, with an approximate four-kilometre connecting road.

It is understood that the tenure of the contract is for 48 months, commencing 3 April 2019, with completion targeted for 2 April 2023.